top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


1. What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?


SLP stands for Speech-Language Pathologist. SLPs must have a master’s degree from an accredited university program from the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association. Along with required coursework, master’s degree students must complete 400 hours in a clinical setting, working as speech-language pathologists in training.

Once a master’s degree (including the clinical practicum) is completed, the new speech-language pathologist must complete a Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Fellowship Year of full-time clinical practice under the supervision of a certified SLP. They also must successfully complete a national examination in speech-language pathology. During this time, the speech-language pathologist uses the title CF-SLP.


Finally, after meeting all these requirements, the speech-language pathologist can use the title CCC-SLP: Certificate of Clinical Competence, Speech-Language Pathologist. Beyond this, CCC-SLPs must attain 30 hours of continuing education training every three years to maintain their certification.

colored pencils lined up
child reading a map

2. What is a Special Education Teacher?


Special education teachers instruct students who have a wide range of learning, mental, emotional, and physical disabilities. They adapt general education lessons and teach various subjects, such as reading, writing, and math, to students with mild to severe disabilities.

3. How long will my child be in an intervention program?

Interventions can vary from a short duration to a lengthy period of time. Each case will be individually analyzed and discussed with the professionals and family members within the context of the remediation process.

boy holding a book with a frog face
child holding a cake pop

4. When should my child start an intervention program?

Early intervention is essential to reaching optimal progress in the shortest period of time. Identifying and treating speech, language, reading, writing and other developmental delays early lead to a better prognosis.

5. Can I observe my child's sessions?

Many times, speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and teachers will recommend, or even require, that a parent does not observe an intervention session. There are pros and cons to having a parent in a session. For some children, having a parent in the room can be a distraction. Even if the parent does not participate, there are children who will retreat to their parents when they feel that they need assistance, which they are very likely to feel during a session. It is the professional's role to determine what level and what type of assistance will work best for the child to help them grow.

tips of crayons
circle sprinkles on a pink donut

6. Do you accept insurance?

We are currently a fee-for-service provider, meaning the client is responsible for payment at the time of service. We can provide a medically coded receipt (also known as a superbill) with codes for evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment. You may submit this receipt to your insurance company for reimbursement.

7. What is your cancellation policy for private sessions?

If you are unable to make your scheduled appointment, please provide the courtesy of a 24-hour cancellation notice. Cancellations made with less than 24 hours notice will result in a cancellation fee (the price of your session). If more than 3 appointments are cancelled or missed within a treatment series, all future appointments will be cancelled unless special arrangements are made.

top of boy's head with books
bottom of page